or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:

Posts by Augusto86

Quote: Originally Posted by Manton Note that I have not even objected. I have simply said "What Wolfe described is, so far as I can tell, accurate." You and Augusto and others insist A) that it's false and B) that there would be nothing wrong with it if were true, mixed in with a lot of "What a blue nose idiot you are for noticing, lulz!!!!" Pardon me for being amused at the fact that it is out of bounds to notice things that are perfecly normal,...
Piobaire; you make a lot of points about "feeling" rich and "feeling poor," and while I understand that, I can't say I think it's the strongest line of argument. There's research which pretty clearly shows that people's feeling of wealth is pretty much relative; that is, they define their success or earnings not according to any kind of absolute scale, but almost entirely based on their relation to a group of (self-defined) peers. For instance, you say you don't feel...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire I said much, much more in this thread. This just does not summarize things well. Parts are just probably wrong and other parts are too simply stated. We've gone over this endlessly here. For instance, someone that gets out of an extended university education (doc, law, mba) with six figures in debt, already has a kid, has no equity (as they were in school) is sure as hell not "on the edge of rich" simply...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire I still don't really agree. I mean, my parents had a tiny, old, kinda fucked up house. That house meant the world to them and they lived in it for decades. If society broke down and they lost that house, they would have felt like they had just lost as much, or more, than anyone living in a McMansion. Just because an item is bigger, more expensive, etc., than another similar item, doesn't mean the owner of the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire Yeah, it does matter; you don't get off this easy. There is a huge difference are where you place the two terms on the curve and also how you define what makes up this curve. There is a difference between income and wealth and this is an important distinction people want to gloss over. This argument becomes very tiresome though. Private police forces have existed forever and actually still do exist, although our...
Quote: Originally Posted by turboman808 May as well. 300 is a rebodied Magnum, charger, camaro or whatever. Crossfire was a rebodied slk. Sure there are a few others. They just have to shit it up with alot of plastic and ill fitting gaps before they can call it an American car though. Crossfire has some of the worst reviews ever, though: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/C...Top_174188.htm
The fact that he's named Joseph and she's named Rebecca only makes this better. Quote: Originally Posted by odoreater One thing that your quote left out was that he was barred from exposing her to Christianity for a period of thirty days, if that means anything to anybody. If that's the case, then that, plus the fact that he's a law student, makes it seem like he was very explicitly trying to challenge the validity of such a ruling.
Quote: Originally Posted by FLMountainMan I've been there. It's a beautiful mountain town right by Jefferson National Forest and Mt. Rogers in VA. No insight on the teen sex though. The fact that the main character of this book is from there makes me want to go read this though. And your map would pretty strongly correlate to various demographic maps, especially poverty rates. What effect that has on the notion of red states as morally superior,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire Define "rich" and define "poor." Also, define what "benefit" you are speaking of. FWIW, I thought most of the non-troll answers here were pretty on target and/or thoughtful. It doesn't matter. It's the relative positioning. The benefit is the social stabilization a government provides. Without police, who is most likely to be robbed? The poor get robbed anyways, and the police can't do much to stop...
Quote: Originally Posted by javyn It's interesting that Beck, as hard as he is trying, can't figure out if this guy is a conservative or liberal. He seems to want so hard to know so he can either I guess 1) start working on damage control or 2) start an attack on liberals. Really? I would have thought that "each according to his needs" bit at the end would seal the deal for him. Link to his comments?
New Posts  All Forums: