or Connect

Posts by Mark from Plano

Generally old golf clubs just aren't worth that much. What you have there is a set of persimmon woods made in the 1960s or 1970s from a second line manufacturer that sold mainly to beginners. Here's a similar set (but refinished) on EBay for $42. You could put them up on eBay and see what you get for them but it likely won't be much....
I don't know. It's not like it's a premier or grand Cru or something. At the end of the day it's a (very, very good) village level wine meant to be consumed young, but that will likely still be good for many years. I've been guilty of vinfanticide before but not sure this is a good example of it. Besides...it's just so yummy.
Found some of the '09 Bachelet CdN Villages locally the other day. Had been paying $49-53 for it from Premier Cru in Berkeley and having it shipped in. Local place had it for $73 (after the 5% cash discount). I swallowed hard and bought 3 bottles. Already plowed through 2 of them. $73 is just too stiff for a wine I can't seem to control myself around.
I never put together until recently that Paul Giamatti is the son of Bart Giamatti, former Commissioner of Baseball.
I kinda thought they might on the Shafer. Figured no chance in hell on the d'Yquem. As it was the bartender poured me an extra glass of red (not the one I ordered which was a $30 a glass Camus) but a Hall, which frankly tasted better). I also ordered a Royal Tokaji for dessert which he wound up comping and then pouring a second glass of.
Sitting at the bar at a nice restaurant and just found two misprints in their wine list. 2011 Shafer one point five (half bottle) $32...uh, is this right? No. Should be $72. 2004 d'Yquem for $30 a glass...uh, is this right? No We don't serve that by the glass. It's $255 a half bottle. $30 a glass is for the Mer Soliel Late.
Scotland Trip Report, Volume 3 (condensed version) These have been too long, let's see if I can cut it down. Wednesday Had an open day. Played the New Course at St. Andrews (built in 1895). Great. No tee times. Signed up and got off within 30 minutes. Great course. Some say better than The Old (not me, but some). Thursday. Got to play Carnoustie with a couple of the members. Lots of stories that mainly end up reflecting badly on me. Great people. Course...
Scotland Trip Report, Volume 2 Tuesday: Awoke at the Renaissance Club incredibly hung over from our foolishness the night before. Tuesday was to be our marathon day...the only day we had 36 holes pre-booked. I am of an age and ability where I require some measure of warmup before I hit the first tee. Our host had informed us the night before that the practice facility for North Berwick was some two miles away and that our best bet would be to hit balls at Renaissance...
From the first two days: St. Andrews Cathedral: Kingsbarns: In this first one you can see a scoreboard for next week's Dunhill Cup. The view from my room at the Renaissance Club out onto the 6th hole (a par 3):
Scotland Trip Report, Volume 1 Having a great week in Scotland so far. People are unbelievably nice. Sunday: Arrived in St. Andrews late afternoon after flying all night. Connected through London to Edinburgh, then rented a car from there. Met my friend from Aberdeen at his flat here that he's letting us use for the week. Very comfortable 2 bedroom apartment. He'd made dinner reservations in town. We were able to get out and do a bit of walking around before dark....