or Connect

Posts by Mark from Plano

Scotland Trip Report, Volume 3 (condensed version) These have been too long, let's see if I can cut it down. Wednesday Had an open day. Played the New Course at St. Andrews (built in 1895). Great. No tee times. Signed up and got off within 30 minutes. Great course. Some say better than The Old (not me, but some). Thursday. Got to play Carnoustie with a couple of the members. Lots of stories that mainly end up reflecting badly on me. Great people. Course...
Scotland Trip Report, Volume 2 Tuesday: Awoke at the Renaissance Club incredibly hung over from our foolishness the night before. Tuesday was to be our marathon day...the only day we had 36 holes pre-booked. I am of an age and ability where I require some measure of warmup before I hit the first tee. Our host had informed us the night before that the practice facility for North Berwick was some two miles away and that our best bet would be to hit balls at Renaissance...
From the first two days: St. Andrews Cathedral: Kingsbarns: In this first one you can see a scoreboard for next week's Dunhill Cup. The view from my room at the Renaissance Club out onto the 6th hole (a par 3):
Scotland Trip Report, Volume 1 Having a great week in Scotland so far. People are unbelievably nice. Sunday: Arrived in St. Andrews late afternoon after flying all night. Connected through London to Edinburgh, then rented a car from there. Met my friend from Aberdeen at his flat here that he's letting us use for the week. Very comfortable 2 bedroom apartment. He'd made dinner reservations in town. We were able to get out and do a bit of walking around before dark....
One bright spot of yesterday, I was digging around in the garage and found one of my old golf bags. Had my old Hogan Edge irons (2 sets ago) with a 2 iron. My current set of Mizunos came with 4 through gap wedge and I added a 19 degree Mizuno hybrid which I have a tendency to hook. My prior set were Hogans, but started at 3 iron. Frankly, I'd forgotten I even still owned one. I pulled it out of the bag and threw it in the trunk thinking I'd see if I could still hit it...
Played yesterday at Cowboys Golf Club in Grapevine, TX (near DFW airport). In case you're wondering: yes, those Cowboys. This is a Jerry Jones venture that's been in place since 2001 and markets itself as the world's only NFL themed golf venue. Although it's been around for a while this was my first chance to visit. Thought I'd pass along some impressions Overall Experience: They are trying to deliver an ultra-premium experience at an ultra-premium price. Normal...
Macallan 12 year over ice. Assisting my anticipation...25 days til Scotland and 10 full days of golf, pubs and bonny lasses.
I don't recall the conversation, but the answer is probably and sort of. I love this maker and buy a lot of it and basically recommend it a lot. It really punches above its weight IMO.What we probably talked about though was either the sec or Demi-sec bottlings, which are just killer foods wines most years even in the standard bottlings (~$35). What you have here is their premier tre bottling in a Moelleux, which is their high residual sugar dessert wine. Also very...
Gomey, how did you like the Huet?
Handicap is designed to get the average of your 'good' rounds. For each round it calculates a 'differential' from the adjusted course rating. So you take your score minus the course rating and then adjust it for the slope by taking the differential and dividing it by the course slope and then multiplying it by 113 (average slope supposedly). Once you have your differentials you take the best 10 out of your last 20 rounds and average those differentials. You then...