or Connect

Posts by apocalypse later

It's definitely the fast-track. If UTC's is like any Fortune 500 company leadership program, you get a lot of exposure to leadership, training, and obviously great career experience. Your friends that start out as standard analysts will likely be in their role for 1-2 years while you'll already have 4 different jobs down. It really teaches you to learn and adapt quickly. If there's one disadvantage to it, you definitely don't get as much deep knowledge--you get a much...
I'm 25 and I'm slowly realizing my life isn't on the trajectory I imagined two years out of college. I'm in a leadership development rotational program at a large publicly traded company. I make just shy of $60k in Tampa, FL which is hardly a destination city for young professionals (actually Forbes rated it second worst in the country). I don't particularly like the city for a number of reasons, first and foremost that its culture absolutely sucks. Yes, there are...
1. Learn how to manage your time. You can have a 4.0 in a difficult major, party your ass off and have ton of friends, keep in shape, and be outside activities in college if you just figure out how to study efficiently and have the "don't waste time" attitude. 2. Stop watching sports unless you're hanging out with people. You can watch the highlights of baseball games, no need to sit through them. And it's not worth multi-tasking during them, you won't get anything...
I'm in a rotational program and it looks like most of my experience will be technology related, and frankly I'd rather be in process improvement/operations as I think it's a bit more high visibility. Has anyone transitioned from, for example, an accounting role to an operations role easily? Or in my case, IT to Operations?
I'm going to be starting a two year rotational program at a fairly large firm in a few weeks with roughly 30 others. It's the standard GE-style FMP program but instead my track is focused on operations and technology. Four rotations every six months for two years and then you get your "real" job. Anyone who has gone through one of these programs, can you provide a little advice? I know the expectations are a bit higher than your standard entry level analyst...
I interned in GE's IMLP (Information Management Leadership Program). It's an IT internship, mostly dealing with Project Management. I didn't interview for the full-time program as I really didn't like any of the interns or the culture the business champion set down, but I could see those with Type A personality really getting into it. My project was basically a study into a particular process and how to improve it. I was given an assignment leader, a mentor, and a...
Quote: Originally Posted by kxk You could say something substantially similar for most college majors, including business. outside the fields where you need equipment/facilities, the substantive stuff can easily be learned on your own, and even through lectures of "famous" professors through the use of iTunes U or MIT's opencourseware (and I think a few other schools do something similar). If anything, liberal arts education is what should be taught in...
Don't get me wrong, the liberal arts are important, but why would you spend upwards of $100K+ at a private school getting an English or Sociology degree? It's downright stupid. If you're than interested in a particular subject, find a syllabus online, read the same pages and write on the same paper topic. It's that easy to get a liberal arts education, and you don't have to waste time and money in classes. We all have 168 hours a week and you spend a hell of a lot of...
Just graduated from college and I accepted an offer with a public company for a leadership development program. It's rotational, meaning I'm going to be in (likely) in 2-3 different locations in the U.S. within two years. So I'll be moving and relocating often. Does anyone have any general relocation advice, especially since I'll be relocating every six months to a year? It's going to be a serious pain in the ass.
APCs sold. What's left is left. These prices are crazy low, get them while you can...