or Connect

Posts by Dr. J

Quote: Originally Posted by odoreater Out of curiosity, are any of them litigators? Not a-one. About half of them are in regulatory compliance (yeah, it's DC) and the rest do some sort of business transactions work. Why -- do you think litigators have more of a crazy streak?
Who resurrected this thread? Like someone said earlier, I'll bet these stereotypes are being reinforced by self-selection. Just for kicks, let me illustrate with an example. I know maybe two dozen lawyers, including my wife. Every lawyer I know graduated from a top-10 law school and works at a Vault 50 firm or Fortune 50 corp (which is just to say my sample isn't lacking in talent or ambition). None of the lawyers I know (male or female) are anywhere close to...
I found that tie two days before my wedding in a last-minute sweep through Filene's Basement. Talk about luck! I believe it's HSM.
Thank you all for your suggestions! It's been a few months since the wedding so it's about time I updated this thread with pictures of my final ensemble. I took as much advice as I could, getting a collar with more spread, a tie with more personality, and a punchier pocket square fold: Attachment 5342 Yes, the florist surprised me with a boutonniere that required pinning. Ah well. But I'm very satisfied with how SF's suggestions turned out. Everyone (and by...
Quote: Originally Posted by Sator All the more reason to wear a black morning coat methinks Talk about dedication! You wouldn't happen to have stock in a company that sells or rents morning dress, would you Sator?
Wow, I wasn't expecting so much activity while I was away! Thank you all for your suggestions so far. Here are my thoughts. Tie knot: I've been wavering between Full Windsor and Half-Windsor for weeks now. I feel like the half is a little better proportioned to the collar, but the full (pictured) feels more formal. Looks like the consensus is smaller knot, or at least a wider collar. Collar spread: I haven't had much success with a wider spread collar. It just...
Hi everyone -- I'm getting married in less than two weeks! I've been watching these forums for six months without saying a word. Now, thanks to what everyone's written, I've finally assembled my wedding outfit. Here's your chance to critique it. Relevant details: it's a morning wedding in an outdoor garden at a historical mansion. It will be elegant but not super formal. The bride will be wearing a traditional gown, the groomsmen will be wearing black suits with...