or Connect

Posts by Dr. J

I love the discussion! Quote: Originally Posted by emptym That line I quoted was in some ways a cheap response. If I were to be totally honest, I would have to say that personally, I believe I have experienced God. The first time was when I was about 10. I had a sudden awareness that the world was alive and loving me, that each star in the sky, and each tree in the woods, each leaf, each blade of grass, each molecule was alive and loving...
Quote: Originally Posted by acidicboy Tarantino wore one, albeit an ill-fitting one, during the Golden Globes Nomination. And here I thought white guys couldn't pull off a barong. Wait... I really shouldn't buy something I'll never use just because it's cheap... how much is a barong anyway? How about one made of pineapple fabric?
Quote: Originally Posted by acidicboy As I've said, save your money. A friend of mine commissioned Philip to tailor suits for him and his wedding entourage- suffice to say all of them won't be coming back to that store. Yes, Jose Pidal, it's the branch in New World-Renaissance in Makati. They got measured once, and when they went back after a week the suit was already done, but the size were off. One of my friends insisted on alterations but the damn...
Thanks for all the info on tailoring options! I'm going to keep it simple and stick with shirts on this trip. Cornell's Custom Tailor sounds pretty good. What about this King Philip tailor -- do they do shirts? Are they any good? I might also take the advice about buying my fabrics and buttons from a mall. Anyone familiar with Alabang Town Center? I think it will be the most convenient location for me. Do any of their shops have good fabrics? How much fabric do...
Hey guys, I'm going to be in Manila (Philippines) starting next week and -- if possible -- I'd like to get some shirts made. I know it's a bit of a sartorial wasteland from the threads I've found, but my itinerary is set (no time to stop off in HK). I'm looking for good fit and value, not necessarily high quality (though decent fabrics would be nice). Is it possible? Worthwhile? Anyone have any advice on where to look? Thanks!
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNWorn Looks good, but it seems just a tad short. Thanks. I'm not a fan of stacking -- but how should jeans typically break? Does it make a difference that I'm wearing chelseas? I was a little worried the 32" inseam would be cutting it close at 6' (though 32" actually is my measured inseam).
Great instincts guys. I stopped by DB this evening and got some fantastic service from Dave, Mike, and Elena while I tried on at least a dozen pairs of jeans (really, the service was impressive). The Rag and Bones looked and felt the best by far, with one exception -- the 5EPs looked amazing. Enough to make me doubt my "no raw denim" rule. I saw the SF stamp on the inside -- nice work guys. I think I'll probably end up with the R&B -- the extra comfort plus the...
Budget is pretty flexible -- I'd say $250 or less, though I'd obviously prefer less, since the jeans won't see much use. I'm also a little flexible on styles. I want slim, but probably not super-skinny. I think the last pair of jeans I owned were low-rise boot-cut. I prefer low or medium rise, and I do wear boots sometimes, though I don't know if boot cuts are functional or purely aesthetic. I prefer dark washes with some fading (not too much, but I know I'll never...
Denim newbie here. I only wear jeans on vacations (refugee from MC) and it just so happens I'm taking a vacation in a few weeks. I plan to buy one pair of nice jeans. I know you guys like raw, but I'm not a fan of breaking in some sheetmetal-like denim on my vacation (which, by the way, begins with 24 hours of air travel). I'm 6' and slim. What, in general, should I look for in comfortable non-raw but good quality jeans? More importantly, where should I...
I feel like I should defend the westgates a bit -- they're great wholecuts; much more shapely and sleek in person than the photos suggest: Attachment 6643 To answer an earlier post, they're pretty true to size -- I wear a 9D in both westgate and park avenue. The westgate is a little roomier, but still a good fit.