or Connect

Posts by Dr. J

Quote: Originally Posted by Enzo There are two kinds of hauntings, one is when a house is haunted and another kind of haunting is when spirits are attracted to a certain person because they have the ability to sense them. I believe I fall into that second category. You've got me thinking. Is there a pattern to who gets haunted? Among those who've experienced definitive hauntings: (1) Is there a (reverse?) correlation between...
Quote: Originally Posted by thinman As one of those "egghead science types", I'd like to point out to JammieDodger and anyone reading that, while a lack of evidence for the existence of ghosts means a reasonable scientist could not conclude that ghosts exist, he also could not conclude that ghosts do not exist. The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence (the last paragraph quoted above treads close to this logical fallacy)....
I'll bite. Ghosts don't exist. I base this on the following. Negative Evidence: I haven't personally found them where they're reported to be. Despite looking. No successful serious investigations, despite attempts and significant incentive (e.g. Nobel Prize, fame and fortune, etc.) Insufficient Positive Evidence: Specific testimonials rarely approach any standard of reliability. Testimonials are frequently inconsistent and "retconned". Testimonial evidence...
Quote: Originally Posted by M Stanfield Great links and great advice, Dr. J. Mind if I PM you sometime? Sure! Quote: Originally Posted by TUspiv I know of some programs that give joint Business and Law Degrees (I think Northwestern has one, among others). Does anyone have any experience with a program like this and would recommend it over a traditional law degree? I've only looked into Penn/Wharton, but that's...
Sorry to resurrect this, but I have a few things to add to the OP's questions. I've done a lot of research into legal employment prospects. The realities are not as pleasant as the anecdotes. I apologize if this comes out a little bleak. Quote: Originally Posted by M Stanfield Now I was just wondering: is law school really worth it? If you're talking about numerical investment/return, the answer is usually no. Law school tuition is...
Quote: Originally Posted by Holdfast So, I was idly doodling while I was supposed to be working and came up with a design for a very unusual winter coat/cloak. Wait a second, aren't you a psychiatrist? Do you have patients? Haha, I'm just picturing you nodding solemnly to a patient in session and, instead of notes, you're busy sketching a full-featured LOTR-inspired bespoke cloak. And planning to subsidize it with the fees being paid by...
Thanks a lot guys! Quote: Originally Posted by athletics You look like you lost 20 pounds in that year too. I know! I still weigh the same, but even my friends and family thought I lost weight when they started running into me in my new outfits. The old clothes were just so ill-fitting; I'd trusted sales associates for so long, I didn't even know my own size until I got some measuring tape and figured it...
I thought it'd be fun, after one year of lurking on SF, to show everyone how the forum has changed my clothing (for the better). These pictures kind of surprised me -- and this is just the improvement in my everyday outfits. In the BEFORE picture, you'll notice: scuffed Bostonian shoes, over-long, over-wide, pleated black pants (made of polyester!); oversaturated yellow, blousy, OTR mall shirt (in the wrong size!) In the AFTER picture: AE westgates; charcoal...
I'm surprised that no one mentioned Ristorante Tosca, especially since some people were naming contenders for best Italian restaurant. I've enjoyed those mentioned (I Ricchi and Al Tiramisu) and many others (most memorably, the now-defunct Galileo, Laboratorio del Galileo, and Maestro). But Tosca is currently the best. (Obelisk, the only other possible contender right now, is a little unpredictable). My wife and I are both obsessive foodies; we eat out for every...
Emptym: Your (literal and figurative) journey is really inspiring! I admire the impulse to go off and confront new places and ideas like that. I know you're busy catching your breath for the next round with Philosoph, so I'm sorry if this is a little long. I want to clarify what I was getting at earlier. I asked you why you have a certain set of (Catholic) beliefs and your answer was a story about how you came to be a serious Catholic. OK, good. But I'm actually...