Posts by mktitsworth

I'm going to answer this by doing the thing from Zootopia where I ask and then answer my own questions:Where did the whole thing start?With the jacket, which was hanging in the back of my closet. It was a steal and has a number of nice features but I've never been sure whether or not I like it. I now think I do, though it needs some adjustments.Why cream?Cream with chocolate seems pretty uncontroversial.Why cotton?I have two pairs of cream cotton trousers because I live in...
[[SPOILER]]
S&S is about interpreting our reality, but I was also taught to use it as a tool for analyzing how a given image may evolve from representation into simulation. It's all about successive phases of images. My personal favourite example is Hitchock's shower scene from Psycho. The original was ground breaking, and the scene from the movie is a text book example of what Baudrillard would call "representation." From this proceeded forth a slew of unfaithful copies. While...
Good call. To be clear though, this was not an attempt at trad. It was part of thinking about how to go beyond basic trad stuff.I hadn't really ever given engineered garments a look before, but I suppose I will now.
That's a fair point, though I think we're going to disagree on what signaling is. Your meaning as presented, doesn't encapsulate the behaviour of the miyuki-zoku (OK, so I grabbed the book off the shelf), or at least those who did it first in Japan. At the time, there wasn't an in-group for which one could signal membership. However, in their sartorial rebellion those originators were signalling their exclusion (or at least wish to be excluded) from the primary...
OK, not status in the strict sense, but we can agree that it was still a way of signalling membership. This actually seems like an interesting point of departure (again, maybe Marx covers this) because, as I understand, trad WAS a symbol of status in the US at the time.
This reminds me of the (almost certainly apocryphal) story of how sanforized denim came about: A dungaree salesman had a shipment which was totally soaked in transit. After getting it to dry out, the items had (obviously) shrunk and the original client wouldn't take custody. So, he put them out himself, sold them at two sizes smaller than labeled, and marketed them as pre-shrunk.This is pretty much what I meant and expected. It sounds very reminiscent of what happened...
I think this is sort of clear above, in that I was hoping we could talk about madras as it pertains to historical fashion. Particularly, in putting the whole thing together, I was taken aback by its prominence in Take Ivy and pictures of historical japanese trad. If I am to believe this article from Orvis about the origin of madras, its dichotomy as both peasant and afluent seems perfectly suited to the socio-economic class which would have had access leading up to its...
The whole reason for including the original post was just to prevent people from going and following through. Let's talk about Ishizu and Hayashida and the like. That said, I'm not getting rid of the Jack Purcells from the equation. They are totally appropriate for an ivy context. Totally worth doing with short sleeve madras shirt and a solid cream Bermuda short.
... I was not actually looking for fit advice, but I agree with Derek. It was something I was trying. The whole tailored chinos thing leads back to the bit about Ivy and Madras... which is what I wanted to talk about.