or Connect

Posts by SoCal2NYC

Quote: Originally Posted by sfnapolifan Hmm, I'm surprised on that one--definitely don't see any evidence of that in the lining. The Isaia was nice, don't get me wrong, but fabric was not in the same league as what I see at the local Neimans in SF. It was sort of a steel blue number in a S120s hopsacky ticketpunchy type of thing. I've seen the same suit make several apperances in successive Isaia sales--which made me think it was probably a...
Quote: Originally Posted by jhva3 If people did not do the above, then why would an internet retailer bother to make up fake retail prices? Like I said, most of the stuff I buy, I am well aware of the value of, which is why I no longer buy anything expensive on Gilt. Clothing is difficult to buy online. Gilt doesn't provide a lot of information. They sometimes don't even give the country of origin. The retail price, if it wasn't an outright lie,...
Quote: Originally Posted by gdl203 That's a decent experience. I did not realize one high end retail stores had 16 year old buyers. wish i was still 24
Quote: Originally Posted by jhva3 Sorry, what definition of fake are you working with here? They were never sold at retail. They were never sold at that price. That price that they(you?) are purportedly marking them down from has never existed. In no way does it say "comparative retail" either. It says "original price" and "retail." If that isn't illegal, it is sure as shit completely unethical. Do you know what original means? It doesn't mean...
Quote: Originally Posted by sfnapolifan the isaia i've purchased at gilt is certainly not as good as what you'd find in stores, but that's solely a matter of the fabrics used--construction and styling are up to par. .... Really? Most of the Isaia sold on Gilt had to have the Saks/Neiman Marcus tags removed from them before they were shipped to customers.
Quote: Originally Posted by chorse123 But they're not listing it as a comparative retail price at all; it clearly says "original price." It's worse than a fiction, it's completely disingenuous. Disingenuous = standard retail practice So if Brand X has an order for store Y and store Y goes out of business 3 weeks before they deliver the order and they sell it off to us what does Gilt put as the MSRP price "If The Store Didn't Close and Had a...
Quote: Originally Posted by gdl203 How long was your own high-end retail buying experience before you became a Gilt buyer? Candid question, since you bring it up. 8-ish years
Quote: Originally Posted by lefty This comment was pretty good: Oh, yippee, I can't wait to spend $900 on a suit designed by the head buyer of a discount clothing website that I can't try on and can't return for anything other than store credit! I'm counting down the seconds until 9 am! The suits are underwhelming. Had MG designed the line they may been on to something. lefty The men's buying team all came from full price Saks and...
Quote: Originally Posted by jhva3 I cannot believe that they are putting fake retail prices after they caught shit for it previously. I mean everyone knows that this stuff never was sold at retail. Those retail prices are likely what his suits go for if sold by an actual designer. A comparative original retail is not a "fake retail" price. Had these been done/made for a full-price account this is what they would have sold them at.
Quote: Originally Posted by Bull Otto, I generally enjoy your posts, but you're an idiot. It has been well-established that Gilt got too big for its britches, ran out of "leftovers" to sell, and started commissioning designers to make stuff for them, to their specs, AS THEY DID TODAY WITH THE MARTIN GREENFIELD SALE. And as they did with the Brooks Brothers line sold earlier in the week. It's not arbitrage any more - they've become a glorified Off Fifth...