or Connect

Posts by AldenPyle

In the 120-ish dollar range, Buzz Rickson Original spec (not the military repros) might be a good choice. Also JPress chinos have a low rise but are pretty slim across seat and thighs.
Quote: Originally Posted by DrZRM Who knows, you can't keep your shoes on anymore. If I remember correctly, the answer is yes, but it probably depends on the shoe/boot-maker. That particular bit of security theater is peculiar to the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave. One hopes that a pair of either Allen-Edmonds or Aldens will outlast it even there.
Do metal shanks actually set off metal detectors in airports?
Quote: Originally Posted by AlSailor Its purpose is the same as the purpose of the bottom button that you never button. I think this is right. Once upon a time, people wore jackets with really high buttons. Like this When they began rolling the lapel to a lower stance people kept some of the higher button holes, because doing away with them just looked wrong. We still have a button hole at the very top of the lapel. Why keep that...
Thanks for posting this. This is fascinating.
Quote: Originally Posted by The Louche Thinking back on an old blazer I had this morning, I am wondering if well respected cloth mills like H&S, LP, Dourmeuil, Minnis, etc. produce "B" grades of cloth in addition to their standard, high quality lines? The blazer I that provoked this question was a Brooks Regent blazer from 2-3 years ago. It was worsted and labled as Loro Piana S120; no further information on the cloth was given. I returned the blazer...
Tartan dinner jackets
Quote: Originally Posted by jdcpa I unknowingly meet Gore Vidal in the UCLA library. He was doing a book signing so I happened to go to his section in the stacks. An old man in an equally old tweed jacket approached me and said, "oh, I'm so glad someone as young as you enjoys my work." He acted very strangely. Not knowing what Gore Vidal looked like, I assumed he was some crazy nut hanging around the library. I just said, "oh yes, I enjoyed...
Do NOT buy a 3rd Generation shuffle. The only reason to buy a shuffle is to listen to music when you exercise. But the 3rd Generation shuffle has a design flaw: any sweat at all gets on the Ipod and it will shut down. It cannot be used when you work out unless you can somehow keep it away from your body. The fact that Apple knowingly sells a defective product, even a cheap one, would make me hesitant to buy anything from them.
Quote: Originally Posted by greyinla It's a professional interview. The department doesn't matter. The field doesn't matter. What the average professor wears on a daily basis really doesn't matter. For the on-campus portion of the process, just wear a suit. Navy or charcoal. Simple and boring. At the end of the day, clothes alone will not get nor cost you a job, but it's best to take them out of the equation. Well said.