or Connect

Posts by AldenPyle

Another great episode. I liked how the part where Don was marking his whiskey bottles to remind himself how much he drank was a product placement. "We here at Canadian Club urge you to enjoy our product in moderation. But if you are going to be a white knuckle alcoholic anyway, we are good for that too."
Janet Reno must be rolling over in her coffin. She knew how to handle okies like this guy.
Admittedly, the cool part of Mad Men is that (since the first season) it has asked "If the characters have rich enough emotional lives, how minimal can you be with the plotting and still create a compelling TV show?" After the first hour, though, I worry they might be pushing this question beyond the breaking point. Many/most of the plotlines seem no more inherently interesting than my own actual life. ("Pete is living in an apartment mid-Wilshire, but is considering...
Kind of humorous they had a lockout last year to cut salaries on the pretext that small market teams couldn't make any money.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10758354/White-wing-supremacist-swan-attacks-foreign-students.html
1. The real reason that trading has become so cheap for retail investors in the last number of years is competition. There used to be one big exchange (pretty much) with strong market power, now there are many exchanges that compete on price. The role of HFT is aligning prices in these different markets to create the advantages of one big market but without the monopoly power. Again, this isn't controversial. Even the critics of HFT insist that they acknowledge this is the...
Well, if everyone agrees that the only sane point of view is that HFT has made markets cheaper, more liquid and better for everyone but especially small traders, then fine.Yes. There are two choices. You sell the shares at the new price in which everyone has full information about the markets valuation or you sell the shares to some chump at the old price because they don't know that a bunch of shares are being dumped on the market. Now, everything is transparent and...
You should try reading the article again. It was written by a large institutional trader, the supposed example of the person who was getting ripped off by HFT, and he said that in his experience the costs of trading keep getting lower and lower. Obviously, ripoffs might still be occurring, but my definition of sane is having some perspective on the overall net effects.The other points areHFT has changed the optimal scale of trading which actually is of greatest benefit to...
This seems like the sanest viewpoint http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303978304579475102237652362?mod=wsj_streaming_latest-headlines&mg=reno64-wsj&cb=logged0.3434656218159944
Mostly just curious. Thanks for the response.