or Connect

Posts by AldenPyle

Unfortunately, many young people get the idea that the corporate world must be an "Office Space" dystopia and go into academia as the only available refuge. This mistake leads to a lot of unhappy people. I think people should get a job in the private sector or government before they get a Ph.D. because they often discover the many rewarding things you can do. It seems like you have your eyes open. W/o being too specific, I work in a non-science, kind of...
The main appeal, to me, of being a professor (beyond the intellectual satisfaction, I mean focusing on the working conditions alone) is the unique blend of independence and security. In both teaching and research, nobody is looking over my shoulder on a day to day or even year to year basis offering guidance/supervision of the basic work product. Ultimately, if the students complain too much you might have a hard time and you don't get raises or promotions if your...
How about a John Hamm cameo on The Americans as Matthew Rhys' unamed EST trainer?
I liked this last season a lot, but the finale was underwhelming. I don't think this show really needs a final chapter as such, since its always tried to capture the reality of change and life does go on. But at the same time, Mad Men has had some great season finales, and even as a season finale this is at the bottom of the pile. Both the Pete and the Peggy story-lines felt legit, but they were too rushed to feel powerful. I didn't see the Coke thing at the end as some...
That song does have a great arc for an end credit tune, I will stick with "Never Had a Dream Come True,"though since Stevie Wonder is kind of an intrinsically upbeat singer and I think they will leave on an upnote.
I read somewhere, maybe Sepinwall, that some of the episodes would go longer than an hour, but I think not 2 hours.
"Yesterme Yesteryou Yesterday" is too on the nose. Actually, "I Never Had a Dream Come True" might fit better.
If there is a pool for last fade-to-black song, put me down for Stevie Wonder, "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours"
The 1/2 season seems to be an extended epilogue in which all of the characters experience major events that sketch out the rest of their lives. Given the limited time left, I guess that once it seems that a characters story has a pin in it, then the pin will remain in place. Though the characters will make another appearance, Ken's, Megan's, and now Joan's stories have all been resolved.My guess is that Roger will go to LA to fire Lou Avery, hook up with Julia Ormond and...
For some reason that seemed like watching a bottle episode of Archer with Megan as Lana, Harry as Cyril, and the down-low waitress as Pam. If Peggy had growled like a cat when Mimi Rogers stroked her chin she would have been a dead-on Cheryl.