or Connect

Posts by AskAndyAboutClothes

Meaculpa: The chapter on neckwear is one of the longest in my book. But just to hit the high points, here's what to look for: Interlining or lining -- most modern interlinings are poly blended with wool or viscose the wool lining should run the entire length of the tie. There is direction about looking for gold stripes on the inner lining which was true about 1982 the stripes on wool linings only indicated weight not quality, a heavy tie usually requires a thinner...
What a great event. It was a pleasure to actually meet members of the Forum. The event was more successful than we had imagined so the downside was not having time to talk to you all in more detail. And I think I actually missed seeing some of you. Next time. Thanks to Alex for his organizational skills, the vendors, and all of you who took time to show up. Andy
What a great event. It was a pleasure to actually meet members of the Forum. The event was more successful than we had imagined so the downside was not having time to talk to you all in more detail. And I think I actually missed seeing some of you. Next time. Thanks to Alex for his organizational skills, the vendors, and all of you who took time to show up. Andy
jamesbond: I'd take the shirt back to the laundry (and from now on look at them before you leave) and have them re-do it. Then I probably wouldn't go back to that laundry. Ironing at home is really therapeutic. Andy
orbitingio: I only worked part time for 6 years in a men's retail store while I was full time at my career job. Working retail was the most fun, rewarding, and best job I ever had. Getting hired is easy. They need you in retail. Just pick the best store and walk in with your resume, and wear a suit. They will probably want you to go to work for them that very afternoon.. Andy
skeptic: European sizes are 10 more than U.S. or U.K. so that a 42 suit would be a 52 in France. I think they are just bracketing. Andy
demeis: from my book, The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes: Fabric weight for suits is measured in ounces per linear yard (36" x 60") of fabric.  Tropical weights (6.5 to 8.5 oz.) are comfortable for summer wear.  Mid-weight suits (9 to 10 oz.) are designated "year round" or favored for 10-month wear.  Regular weight (11 to 13 oz.) is appropriate for fall and winter.  Heavy weight (14 to 16 ounce) provides extra warmth but is most appropriate for winter in...
Loden - thick, durable, water-repellent fabric, usually in a deep olive green color, woven in Tyrol, a section of Austria and Germany. Tyrolean farmers and shepherds also know as "loderers" once tried cleaning their wool clothes in hot water, of course they shrunk, but the good news was they were warmer and more water-resistant than before. The "felting" or shrinking of the wool is done after the raw wool is dyed, carded, spun and woven. Next it's combed to raise the nap...
Oy, Oy, Oy Andy
Junior: Pleats and cuffs are traditional. Flat front pants have been with us for years and presently are trendy. Pleats automatically widen at the hips when you sit giving you more room when you need it. Pleats also let you put more stuff in your front pockets including your hands without disturbing the drape. If you're wearing the right size pants, pleats are actually slimming. Suit trousers should have pleats and cuffs. Andy