or Connect

Posts by AskAndyAboutClothes

NOTICE AskAndyAboutClothes.com will be down for a maintenance upgrade from Friday, May 12th at 3:30pm P.S.T. until Saturday, May 13th at approximately Noon P.S.T. Notice will be posted here when the site is back up. Don't worry J, if everything goes well we won't need a Temporary Forum hosted on your site! Andy
Get Smart: Here's a condensed version of what I have in my book, The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes: Moth control: The best way to avoid problems with clothes moths is through prevention. Cleaning Woolens and other susceptible fabrics should be dry cleaned or laundered before being stored for long periods. Never store dirty clothes. Dry cleaning or hand washing kills any eggs or larvae that may be present and also removes perspiration odors and stains that...
DR: I have a chapter in my book (The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes) on stain removal and here's what I have on rust: RUST Rust stains cannot be removed in normal laundering. Do not use chlorine bleach, it will make the stains permanent. Small stains may be removed with a few drops of a commercial rust remover, or by repeated applications of lemon juice and salt on the stain. Do not let the garment dry between applications. Rinse thoroughly and launder with a...
Maybe that's why he cancelled his NY visit! 10%!!! Andy
It a way for the shirt maker to cut down on inventory and only carry one shirt for both sleeve lengths. Quality dress shirts have exact sleeve lengths, never with a double button on the cuff to make for an adjustment that fits two sizes. If you find a shirt you love, but it has the double buttons ("size adjustment") on the shirt cuff see which button works best, and cut the other one off! If the dress shirt sleeves and the suit or sports jacket sleeves are...
Quote: Originally Posted by The False Prophet Andy, Why should trousers always be pleated for black and white tie? Best, Eden Eden: Trousers are traditionally pleated. Flat front is a "newer" affliction. Plus pleats are actually practical, they automatically widen at the hips when you sit giving you more room when you need it. Pleats also let you put more stuff in your front pockets including your hands without disturbing the...
Scott: Some excerpts from the Formalwear chapter of The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes: Tuxedo Jacket: Peak lapels in satin, silk or grosgrain, single breasted, one button is traditional, piped or double besom pockets (avoid flap pockets), no vents or minimal side vents. Dinner jackets are the same length as suit jackets, but Tailcoats have tails that should be no longer than back of your knee. The waist of the trousers and the bottom of the shirt pleats must be...
I hope that you have had a good experience on Ask Andy and that you've come to know and love us a little more. Don't be strangers. There is plenty to discuss on both Forums and we may actually miss you a little!!!! But the most important thing is look how much nicer you all look!! Andy
jmswentworth: Think of the bow tie knot as "the same as" your shoe lace knot. How to Tie a Bowtie Start with end in left hand extending 1½" below that in right hand. Cross longer end over shorter and pass up through loop. Remember the motion is similar to tying your shoelaces... Form front loop of bow by doubling up short end (hanging) and placing across collar points. Hold this front loop with thumb and forefinger of left hand. Drop long end down over front. Press...
With two button jackets only the top button is fastened. With three button jackets, you can close the middle, or middle and top button. Some suits are made so that the lapels roll to the middle button. On those suits you leave the top button unfastened. Some East Coast hipsters fasten only the top of three buttons. Single-breasted jackets bottom buttons are never buttoned. You can unbutton a single breasted jacket when you are sitting. Double-breasted jackets are never...