or Connect

Posts by Birks and Grey Socks

Ill try and be helpful. I have the exact same type of body. Your trap muscles make your shoulders slope more than average. So even if you find the right "size" for your chest the shoulders will be too aggressive. if you look carefully, there is a big height difference between your shoulder bone, and the shoulder of the suit. So aggressively padded suits with high armholes are not your friend. You'll run into this problem when you try on suits like RL Black Label,...
To, OP, glad our advice worked out on Suitsupply. It's really a great deal for a well made suit. I love my 2 Suitsupply suits. I'm off to the Netherlands next week, and will pick up some more, likely from their outlet. I also love my Zegnas, Cornelianis, and Canalis, but for the price, Suitsupply can't be beat. Also agreed that if you have a few basic solid suits, then you can safely move on to some glen plaid and windowpane patterns for some variety. ^^^ I also...
Incase you're wondering, the Suitsupply in NYC has a tailor on site. She does nothing but Suitsupply suits all day long. I'd trust her to do something she does repeatedly, before I bring it to anyone else. She did a great job on my two suits and turned them around in 1 hour. And as someone else has mentioned $200 is steep for a tailor to take in a new suit. The most I've ever spent is $100 and this from an expert suit maker for hemming, waist, and slim jacket as well...
Suitsupply in NYC is exactly what you are looking for. Tom Ford-esque styling and their half canvassed purple line is priced at at $470. Best suit under $1000, period. I also bought a Boss Jam Sharp suit, before I learned about fit and construction here on SF. To a layperson's eye, it's a decent looking suit. Once you know better, it will look mediocre at best. I would greatly regret this purchase had I not bought it for $350. But now, I would take a Suitsupply suit...
I'll gladly buy one when someone in the PRC makes a $10 knock off version
I'm not saying it's crap. Because it's not. It's just not worth anywhere near its retail price. I paid less than $350 for mine which is what I would say it's worth. But after finding Suitsupply, I can't imagine why I would buy another Boss when I can get a Suitsupply midline for $470. Boss is not bad if you are in shape and resemble their ideal fit. But even then, the fused construction makes the shoulders and chest not drape nearly as well as many other brands. ...
+2 on Suit Supply. I have suits from Canali, Zegna and Corneliani and Suit Supply. I love them all equally, and they all look and fit equally fantastic. The Suit supply just happens to cost 25% what the other ones cost. If I can pick up another Italian suit for a major sale, I will do so. Otherwise I'm very happy to pay full retail pricing for Suit Supply. Their middle 'Blue line' at $470 USD is a great value. And stay away from Reiss and Boss. Educate yourself on...
Here's what I would do: Hop on a Porter flight to NYC: - Suitsupply, great half canvassed suits around $400-460 (Way better than Boss at half the price) - Century 21, lots of ties ($30-45), shirts ($40-60), and AEs ($200) - Also tons of other discount chains. What you will save vs shopping in Toronto, will pay for the $300 airfare, and 1 nights hotel.
I know. I was in DC last month. Got a Canali summer blazer for $1395 marked down to $125 at Nordstrom Rack at Pentagon city. :D:D:D Here it would be $1600-1800 retail, marked down to maybe $900 on sale.I think I explicitly travel to the US at least 2-3 times a year, every time I need a few more wardrobe pieces. What I save usually pays for the hotel and airfare.OTOH, sometimes the Canadian gods will smile on us, like a $99 Etro unstructured blazer at Harry Rosen...
I live in Canada too. What Americans may not realize is that our menswear costs 75-100% more. Try AEs for $450-$475. Hugo Boss suits for $1100, on sale for $800. But to the OP, Harry Rosen outlet in T.O. has better suits for $1000. If you don't live near that, go get a Samuelshon or take a vacation in the States. Many better suits for $400-500 in places like NMLC, Saks off 5th, Nordstrom rack. For your $1000, you can almost fly to NYC and buy a nice suit from...