or Connect

Posts by dub_c

Quote: Originally Posted by kitcar I had the same issue with my ModernTailor Shirt - I extended the arms and shrunk the yoke to help address it, it was a lot better afterwards, albeit it still is a slight problem. I did the same (based on your advice, I think), and it helped. I also made the sleeves a lot longer and it also helped because the longer sleeves allow for more motion before they pull on the body when I raise my arms.
I really like the shirts, but the one thing that makes me apprehensive about ordering is the fabrics. When I order, I feel a bit like I'm gambling on the fabric, since I don't know what the texture or weight is going to be. On my third shirt (made from a nice twill fabric), I got the measurements dialed in and it is by far the best-fitting shirt that I own. It would be hard to go back to shopping around for OTR shirts when I know I can order a perfect-fitting shirt with...
Personally, I don't think it's worth the trouble for most items. On average, having one more bidder for an auction will raise the final price a little, but not a lot. There's also the risk of the person deciding not to pay after winning (in my experience, this is more common with MO's) or it getting lost in the mail. And you have to wait to find out if they're going to actually pay. If the person has good feedback, there's less risk, of course. But then you have to go...
Quote: Originally Posted by Pieceofsand Do you guys usually do common stiffness on collars, or soft stiffness? I've had two shirts with the common collar -- it's a bit stiff but softens up a little after washing. It looks a little more formal than a soft collar, but I like it. Edit: I should note that I don't have any shirts from MT with their soft collar option. I just meant that I prefer these collars to soft collars in general.
Quote: Originally Posted by cmacey Personally, the ironing board is the least important...a good pad and a great iron, with distilled water, are where it's at! I have a Rowenta -- and swear by it. I have a Rowenta, and the instructions specifically say to NOT use distilled water. It says, "Never use 100% distilled water since this can cause the iron to spit and leak," and it repeats not to use distilled water several times.
I recently got a remake. The first one had arms that were too large in diameter, but otherwise I liked it a lot. The new one is a lighter blue fabric -- not a problem, but it was a little bit of a surprise. The arms are also about 3/8" short, which is kind of an issue for me. Right now, I get kind of a batwing effect when I raise my arms out to the side, and that partially untucks my shirt. The shoulders also raise up and are kind of pointy when I do so. I think this is...
Quote: Originally Posted by erutha95 I reduced shoulder and armhole, and it helped the fit a lot. The arms of the new shirt are definitely more horizontal, and the batwing shrunk a bit. However, I think the batwing effect is still going to be present in any shirt with a big chest->waist drop. I ended up decreasing my chest measurement slightly and increasing my waist, in part to combat the batwing. Thanks, this is helpful. I may try doing the...
Quote: Originally Posted by erutha95 So I just got my first test shirt and it's...ok. It could be worse, but I'm pretty sure it's unwearable. These pictures are obviously from before washing, but it didn't shrink much, and I'm not going to go through the ordeal of washing multiple times and ironing an unwearable shirt. Critiques would be much appreciated. Here are my thoughts. Obviously, the shoulder is too long. This worked on the shirt I...
They've offered to remake the shirt with corrected measurements, and I also made a few more adjustments to the sizing. Their customer service has been very helpful so far. Once I get the new shirt, I'll post pics. I'm hoping that once I get the sizing dialed in, I'll be able to get a perfectly-fitting shirt whenever I want with just a few mouse clicks.
I just got my test shirt back with the blue oxford cloth. I intended it to be a casual-wear shirt that I would usually wear untucked, so it's a little looser, a bit shorter than might be typical, and it has a button collar. I meant to order side pleats (the extra range of motion is helpful because I bike a lot), but I accidentally ordered a box pleat instead. I got the common collar stiffness, and it's quite stiff - stiffer than any other shirt I have. It's a bit much for...