or Connect

Posts by Hannerhan

Exactly...it's a car. "SUV's" like the Acura MDX and new ML and new Pathfinder, etc. are all just thinly disguised mini vans/station wagons nowadays. Which is fine for 95% of Americans who will never take them off the pavement.It just amuses me to watch the Pathfinder commercials where they go on and on about the off-road heritage and imply that it's capable of going anywhere, when it's pretty obvious that they just turned it into a mini van. Any moderately difficult...
The 4Runner isn't in the same category as the LR4 (which starts at $50k for the base model and runs north of $60k). I was just trying to pick something in the same price range, as a 4Runner Trail goes for around $40k. So yes you're correct that it (the 4Runner) isn't nicer. But I'll take the 4Runner Trail over pretty much any other stock vehicle off-road (save a Wrangler Rubicon, which is fantastic off-road and terrible everywhere else), including the LR4. The LR4 is...
While that Raptor is pretty cool, I looked at them and walked away with the feeling that it still has the fit and finish of a Ford, and resale is likely going to suck (not to mention gas mileage). In the end I decided not to get one, and instead have kept my 2003 4Runner 4x4 (slight mods include rock rails and larger off-road tires). At this point I think the nicest serious off-roader off the shelf is going to be the freshened 4Runner when it comes out this Fall. Better...
I think the replacement for the mid-century home is going to be something along these lines: http://www.bodronfruit.com/bodron+fruit/fort_worth.html. So let's say that that is accurate and let's also say that the new home passes muster with folks like yourself and that it's even better than what was there before. Is there any scenario in which the demolition would have been worthwhile, or would you say that the new home should have been built in a different area where...
Demolition of architecturally significant homes (not certified masterpieces, but certainly some history). This is a recent local example has people up in arms around here on both sides of the argument. Thoughts? http://artsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/06/modernist-masterwork-demolished-in-fort-worth.html/ http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/06/26/4966307/ruth-carter-stevensons-daughter.html It's interesting because in Fort Worth there is a pretty serious appreciation for...
My name finally came up on the Carlisle list and I'm supposed to get an allocation next week. Anyone have thoughts on must-haves, or other general thoughts on the winery that would be useful? I have only had a couple of their bottles and those were ~4-5 years ago (about when I signed up for the list).
This is exactly why you phrase the question "if you have to pick one" and see what they say. Of course, if you ask someone if they're good at details and good at seeing the big picture, that's a 100% worthless question because they're always going to say "yes sir, it just so happens that I'm really good at both of those things." You have to push them into a corner a bit to get the subtle details that reveal what they really think.
If you're hiring a 22 year old for a financial analyst position and they go on and on about how they are a big picture person, that's a red flag. The inverse is true for some other roles.If someone just wants to ask lay-up questions and then pick their favorite candidate based on what "feels" like the right choice, that's up to them. But I have always geared questions with a specific goal in mind, so at the end of their answer I have some objective measure by which to...
A few that I generally ask to determine fit: - Tell me about yourself, starting in elementary school. Take 5 minutes and be detailed, taking me to today (I monitor time and see how good they are at being concise and giving real information as opposed to rambling on for 4 minutes about one thing and skipping 10 years, etc). Interrupt several times and ask why they did certain things (why major in x, why go to that school, etc) and see how quickly they are able to recover...
Well, the bastard did it in 16:22. Based on the splits it looks like he slowly walked the last 2.5 miles but I certainly respect that he sucked it up and finished it. Good for him.