or Connect

Posts by Hannerhan

11 is beyond remarkable. I had one when I was 21 years old and about a 30 handicap. Hit a 7 iron thin and rolled it up on to the green and all the way to a back center pin, dropped perfectly. Was playing as a single with a couple of older guys that I didn't know, and I was playing double bogey golf until the ace. I haven't put one within a foot since then.There was a Labor Day weekend back around 2001 in Texas when I played Saturday/Sunday/Monday afternoons (I was poor...
It's not the .2 inches as much as how the suspension is set up on a vehicle that doesn't have a solid rear axle. See this for a quick explanation: http://www.wittenburg.co.uk/offroading/Concepts/Suspension.html.And this might be mostly anecdotal, but my LR experience is that there tend to be more low points than I have on my 4Runner...hence more banging around on rocks.Good point on the traction...I should have clarified. Weight is going to give you more traction when...
I think the 1st gen Touareg was a reasonably capable off-roader when equipped with that air suspension they had. Not sure if that suspension is still an option but I know the newer ones look closer to the ground than the 1st gen did. That said, it wasn't in the same class as the Rovers, Jeeps, 4Runner, Land Cruiser. They undercarriage and overhangs were not designed for abuse.
I totally agree on this. We have really rough roads on our ranch and it's a necessity to drive on them if we want to check water tanks and get to certain areas, but as you say that's a necessity. When I want to have fun I'd much rather be in the Yamaha Rhino (which is a damned good little off roader as well).
True. I was just subconsciously picking a vehicle that would cost about the same as a Raptor (which would be low $40's) but I didn't specify that.For the sake of argument, I'd take the 4Runner Trail over the LR4 off-road for two reasons. Late model Rovers have excellent traction control systems, but with the 4Runner's rear locker, almost 1,000 lbs less weight, and wider tires (the 265/70/17 vs. 255/55/19 will offer a much bigger contact patch especially when aired down),...
Exactly...it's a car. "SUV's" like the Acura MDX and new ML and new Pathfinder, etc. are all just thinly disguised mini vans/station wagons nowadays. Which is fine for 95% of Americans who will never take them off the pavement.It just amuses me to watch the Pathfinder commercials where they go on and on about the off-road heritage and imply that it's capable of going anywhere, when it's pretty obvious that they just turned it into a mini van. Any moderately difficult...
The 4Runner isn't in the same category as the LR4 (which starts at $50k for the base model and runs north of $60k). I was just trying to pick something in the same price range, as a 4Runner Trail goes for around $40k. So yes you're correct that it (the 4Runner) isn't nicer. But I'll take the 4Runner Trail over pretty much any other stock vehicle off-road (save a Wrangler Rubicon, which is fantastic off-road and terrible everywhere else), including the LR4. The LR4 is...
While that Raptor is pretty cool, I looked at them and walked away with the feeling that it still has the fit and finish of a Ford, and resale is likely going to suck (not to mention gas mileage). In the end I decided not to get one, and instead have kept my 2003 4Runner 4x4 (slight mods include rock rails and larger off-road tires). At this point I think the nicest serious off-roader off the shelf is going to be the freshened 4Runner when it comes out this Fall. Better...
I think the replacement for the mid-century home is going to be something along these lines: http://www.bodronfruit.com/bodron+fruit/fort_worth.html. So let's say that that is accurate and let's also say that the new home passes muster with folks like yourself and that it's even better than what was there before. Is there any scenario in which the demolition would have been worthwhile, or would you say that the new home should have been built in a different area where...
Demolition of architecturally significant homes (not certified masterpieces, but certainly some history). This is a recent local example has people up in arms around here on both sides of the argument. Thoughts? http://artsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/06/modernist-masterwork-demolished-in-fort-worth.html/ http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/06/26/4966307/ruth-carter-stevensons-daughter.html It's interesting because in Fort Worth there is a pretty serious appreciation for...