or Connect

Posts by Curbed Enthusiasm

If you like the style, fit, and price, then go for it.I know J&M is very unpopular (for some good reasons) on SF, but I have to say I've been very happy with my Crown Aristocraft Conley wingtips. The leather is top notch and they fit me great. I picked up a new pair that had a minor scratch on the sole for peanuts on Ebay. They are well-constructed and made in the USA. But, for $375 retail, I'd still rather buy AE.
Are there any shell cordovan models in the RDA sale? Apologies if this was already asked.
When you say you want boots, are you thinking an actual leather boot or chukkas/desert boots? The latter would seem to me to be more in-line with what you are likely describing but wanted to check.
Does anybody else have experience with side bowing on the Randolph penny loafer? I just picked up a pair of the equivalent "Patriot" loafer from Jos A. Bank on sale. However, with each step I see some bowing on the side. There are a slew of angry reviews on the AE website for the Randolph model saying that bowing is a problem. I'm going to return these, but I'm curious if anybody else has encountered this issue?
Not sure if this was previously posted, by Jos A. Bank has their Allen Edmonds collection on sale for about $273/pair. While the names are different, the styles are basically slight variations on the Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue, a penny loafer, and I think one that looked like the Strand.
Can I please get some sizing advice? My first pair of Aldens (908 - Hampton Last) are a great fit at 11.5C. I know for some lasts you have to size down a half size; should I maintain the same width? This was the first pair of narrow shoes I've ever owned but worked well for me because my foot is long, wide up front, and narrow in the heel.
Breaking in my first pair of Aldens today. As I was walking outside in the morning sun, I noticed an odd glossy finish on part of the leather on my right shoe. This wasn't visible in my dark apartment. Would this be concerning to any of you?
I was there 2 weeks ago and didn't see any shell other than black and color 8.
I did, and it boiled down to cost. Ponying up $530 for the calfskin was a tad bit easier to stomach than the ~$700 for the cordovan for my very first pair of Aldens. Maybe the next pair .
Thank you all for your advice on my 1st pair of Aldens. I ended up getting a slightly different version of the burgundy mediallian captoe - the 908 balmoral model. I think they are absolutely stunning but I'm curious to hear if you guys think they are a good, versatile first pair. I haven't worn them yet because I keep asking myself "is this the right pair?" - which under normal circumstance wouldn't be a question if not for the price, which is more than I've ever paid for...