or Connect

Posts by GeekSheek

+0101
Looks like you really just need a trim...clean it up around the ears, maybe go a bit tighter on the sides and back. Alternatively, buzzed, uniform length looks pretty good on you too, but it would look a lot better with a little sideburn (halfway down the ear or so...right about the point where your hair changes from head hair to beard hair).
I think I overstated the prospect of a "surprise" skype interview...sorry to freak anyone out. I was thinking more along the lines of someone on the search committee saying "hey, why don't we do this over skype, that way we'll have video...it'll be cool". Academics can be a little socially awkward in that respect. BTW, I turned down the sales job I posted about earlier in the thread. There were just too many things in the cons list for me. Thanks to all who advised on the...
Well, if I have to guess, based on the fact that it's a phone interview and it's sort of late in the recruiting season, I would venture that this position is at a primarily undergraduate institution, and that the institution is not classified as research intensive. That said, I suspect they will want to know more about what you would be like as a teacher and potential colleague, as opposed to your research strategy. Minimally you should research the department (other...
I've heard EE jokingly referred to as standing for "eventually economics". Lots of math early in the major, with some really tough coursework later that causes many to consider new directions.
Thanks for taking the time to reply; sorry it took me so long to get back.It's both. The company has a very small US presence (currently, US-based personnel is in the single digits; they are more established in Asia. They are looking to hire someone with specific expertise (the kind I have) to increase penetration in a very narrowly defined, niche research market. The position would involve sales, marketing, troubleshooting, assay development, new product development, etc....
Dragging up an old thread...sorry. I'm currently finishing up my 3rd year as an academic postdoc in life science. Just the other day, out of the blue, someone I know on a professional basis from an instrumentation company offered me a technical sales job, which would effectively double my pay (kinda like a real job). Here's the thing: I have no sales experience; in fact, I have no relevant professional experience outside of academia. This would be a completely foreign...
Wow, does anyone else here have the privilege of having their job performance published in the newspaper? NYR, you seem to have a cool head about all of this bs. I say avoid the politics, just teach the kids.
I'll never understand the militant anti-helmet stance... graphic pictures, do not click this link
My wife is from MVD and I have spent a fair amount of time there myself. Unfortunately, you'll be there during a kind of a crappy time of year. Most of the touristy stuff (primarily beach towns) will be really quiet (too quiet; a lot of stuff won't be open). You will have missed Carnaval, which is too bad. Anyway, along the Rio de la Plata, you can make the trip to Colonia...this will be really cheap during the off-season ($35-50 for a decent hotel room). Along the...