or Connect

Posts by J_Quinn

Getting married in January 2013. After bouncing back and forth between Modern Tailor, Indochino, and Black Lapel, I decided to take a chace with Modern Tailor, based on price vs customization options. I have never ordered a MTM suit before. They don't offer Tuxedos so I asked them if they could make one, a black suit with satin lapels, trouser stripe and satin jacket buttons. They said they would for an extra $50. The customer service is great, very accommodating. They...
Databody, what size do you wear? If you go for Allen Edmonds Park Avenue, you may need to get a half size smaller, i.e. if you wear 9 in one brand, try 8.5 for the Park Avenue cuz they run long. Try them on and be SURE of your size before buying them. I learned the heard way. Bought some Park Avenues brand new, size 8 but I don't wear em anymore cuz they're too tight. Sucks cuz they're practically new.
Tiny feet, or sleek shoes?
Thanks for the replies. I do think my feet look big in my Allen Edmonds. I recently had the hem on one of my suits adjusted to an 8.5 - 8.75" opening to cover more of the shoe and it looks a little better. I just can't shake the feeling that the shoes are Clunky. I do plan on wearing full black tie, I have read BlackTieGuide.com extensively. However, while I respect opera pumps, I greatly prefer lace ups. So you understand wear my concern is coming from: My style icon...
I saw an aquainrence wearing a pair of sleek looking shoes and finally asked him what brand they were. Lo and behold they were Stacy Adams, the evil junk brand that forced me to become aware of the need for quality shoes when I was like 19. I now have 2 pairs of Allen Edmonds: Black Park Avenue and Walnut Strand. However I feel like they make my feet look somewhat big at 5'7", size 8.5 and 120lbs. I scoured the web and found the exact pair of Stacy Adams this guy was...
Alas, when I first leaned about quality shoes, I bought a brand new pair of Park Avenues from Patrick James at 15% off retail. I had them topy'd and everything. But the sales rep and I decided I was a size 8D. After about 2-3 months of wearing them the tightness was just too much, at times it was even a little painful. Not long after that I found a pair of factory second Park Avenues at Nordstrom Rack in 8.5D so I snatched em up. The size 8D pair is the one I want to...
Thanks for the info, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Strands, but I had never heard of Meermin before and my interest has definitely been piqued, thanks liquiduis. The Ed Et al also looked nice for the rtw prices, but I thought the bespoke looked really interesting (like I could ever afford it) I sometimes wondered what it would cost to have a custome last and shoes made.
bump?
Hi, I already have 2 pairs of black shoes. Some basic Park Avenues and some Florsheim Wingtips. See Below I want to get a pair of brown shoes. For a long time I've had my eye on the Allen Edmonds Strands in Walnut. I love the brogue style and the color. These are really tempting right now cuz of the Nordstrom Sale. I need some advice on whether these are a wise choice for my next investment in shoes. Things to consider: - I definitely want quality, at least...
The reason I started to consider this is because I'm getting the suit from indochino, and they give the option of 3 buttons on the vest. However I thought if there's 3 buttons they shouldn't be the same distance apart as 5 buttons, thus the 3 buttons would look better lower, and they also happen to offer a rounded gorge sorta like the one in the previous post. The fact that I want the suit as single button makes me think the vest would look better with the low button...