or Connect

Posts by hyakku

I just dropped off a suit at Eddie's, will report back, didn't go just for his prices, had read many good things about him online, yelp, and through real life people, some said there were a few issues but for the most part after talking with him and him being open, honest and extremely forthcoming with information I was more than willing to let him try on a suit. Fortunately, I'll be able to tell you all pretty comprehensively as he's working on a three piece, higher end...
Was able to grab what looks to be a late 90's, green Ralph Lauren Polo shirt (with one of hte older icons, real comfortable), and two Zegna shirts, one of which is a little too large for me but it's extremely soft and is a nice purple / yellow windowpane pattern. The only slight flaw I think that's there is that the button for the front pocket seems to be missing (or maybe it didn't come with one as I can't see where the stitching would've came apart, but there's...
Now that ive taken the time out to go see some better shoes in stores, I'm getting a much better feel. Spotted some colehaans and AEs at a local GW pretty quickly, but they seemed a bit damaged. My issue now is that i can't tell whats irreparable and what can be taken to a shoe repair spot as all the shoes I went out researching were new. Anyone got any tips on what may constitute too damaged and not? Most of the shoes I saw were scuffed/ slightly frayed without much...
Quote: Originally Posted by Orgetorix You live in the US? Look for Aldens and Allen-Edmonds of any age, and older Florsheims, Cole Haans, and Johnston & Murphys. Polo Ralph Lauren shoes are good too if they're Made in England. Those are the best shoes you're most likely to find in thrift stores. Yes I do, and thanks, this is exactly the basis I was looking for. Perusing the stickies has been helpful but trying to separate 50 different shoe...
Definitely going to keep this thread on watch, Ive been looking for an excellent tailor, and today just got some recommendations from people here so I'll let you all know when I go to check them out.
Quote: Originally Posted by Orgetorix Spend some time browsing at stores that sell nice shoes. Familiarize yourself with what the classic models look like, what nice leather feels like, etc. If you look at enough good shoes, they'll begin to jump off the rack at you in the thrift store. THanks, been trying to do that, I guess I should try to find out which are the better brands, as Nordstrom's and whatnot all seemed to have very similar...
Any advice from the veterans for finding the gems when it comes to shoes? I've been pouring over the stickies and searching, but I'm not yet experienced enough to remember all the names of good designers or go by feel alone, and I'm pretty sure I've already passed on some nice AE's or something similar because I couldn't read the sole and can't possibly remember all the various combos of lettering inside of the shoe without having a list in front of me. Any pointers would...
Just to add my own experience up here, I was a long time lurker interested in the B/S threads before I joined recently, so I think, like musicguy said, there's just a large amoutn of lurkers like myself who are either only interested in buying, or too neervous to register for whatever reason.
Thanks EBT for the compliments, and if it turns out I don't end up keeping it (although I'm definitely leaning towards keeping it after realizing the pants fit nearly perfectly, just need to be shortened some) I'll be certain to put it up in this thread for just what I paid + shipping for all the help i've already gotten from y'all, but I can't make any promises lol. Plus, I just found the button box with extra buttons still inside in the inner pocket, I wonder if whoever...
Quote: Originally Posted by Nataku Looks like it may be mainline Dolce & Gabbana judging by the lining where you can make out "Dolce and Gabbana" written out. Mainline is pretty nice stuff, so for $60 you did very well! Thanks nataku and mainy, the main tag does have dolce and gabbana written out on a black tag, and yes nataku like you spotted it's written in the lining. Thanks for letting me know, I'm still learning a lot about better...