or Connect

Posts by Jermyn

It is almost impossible to wear a grey shirt without it looking cheap/tacky. I know you are trying to go for as many different ties/suits as possible to show variety but I think this may be a mistake. At night, a white shirt is a perfectly acceptable choice with a navy blue suit. I honestly would get rid of most of those ties (the black one is fine) and start again. The first one, in particular, looks like leopard print. Very garish in my opinion and not at all a...
I like this
I once went on a couple of dates with a girl that pleaded with me not to 'dress so nicely' when seeing her. She said it made her uncomfortable. Needless to say, that one didn't last very long. Now my girlfriend is a model, she loves thrifting and has a healthy eBay business, selling her finds. She loves to get dressed up and she blogs about fashion. One day she started picking shoes out of my wardrobe as I was getting ready, saying "this one has oxford lacing, this boot...
Having worked in both New York and London, I can say that business casual in New York is far worse than over here. Polo shirts, rubber shoes and monstrously baggy dockers were the order of the day. When I worked there, I would always wear a suit and tie on Fridays. I explained that casual Friday served as a contrast to an otherwise formal week. In a casual week, logic dictated that a contrasting Friday would bring with it formality. I think this was embraced as a British...
Very hit and miss. The recent 'golden era' was the result of a huge influx of goods from a Greek store, called Carouzos. It looks like they are still trading. However, given that 3 of their brick and mortar stores are a 5 minute walk from Sytnagma square, it looks like they found themselves with a serious surplus of stock, somewhere around the beginning of 2011. Stock which TK Maxx bought up. In 2011, I picked up Marinella and Kiton ties for £30 a piece; Zegna mainline...
I have for sale, one exquisite Zegna suit, made for Dunhill. The Fabric is a Navy blue Super 130s. It has a wonderful feel, when holding the suit it flows like water. The jacket and trousers are filled with handwork and feature some fantastic, horn buttons. This suit is a wardrobe staple and is brand new with tags. The jacket shoulders and even the trousers, still have basting thread on them! Jacket is canvassed and features 3 front buttons, with some nice lapel roll;...
I have a couple of Cucinelli polos in the slim fit. The quality is very high, the fabric is thick but slightly elasticated and very breathable. The stitching is fantastic and the MOP buttons are great too. One of the polos even has a small placket and stiffened collar, almost a cross between a shirt and a polo. I would highly recommend them.
Manton wrote that he considered wholecuts to be 'newfangled' and untraditional.I disagree because one of the most formal and long established of shoes, the opera pump, is a wholecut.The lack of embelishment (in this case stitching) is what gives the shoe its formality.A needless lowering of the tone.
I love this fit. Very different to a lot of what you see on SF.This has inspired me to go for some more rusty orange colours.I've always like that orangey shade of suede with mid grey trousers but never thought of trying it for a SC.What are the details of the SC and tie?
I've always found the opposite to be the case.My opera pumps are a type of wholecut. It doesn't get more formal than that.Here is Simon Crompton of Permanent Style's list, in order from most to least formal: http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2008/08/sliding-scale-of-formality.htmlShoes TrousersWholecut Oxfords - Worsted woolToecap Oxfords (quarter brogues) - Worsted wool/linen or cottonMonk-front shoes - Worsted woolHalf-brogues - Worsted wool/linen or cottonDerbys...