or Connect

Posts by julius12

I used to wear Rockports too, but realized that the quality was shit, and these days you can't even find a decent pair with a traditional shape. Go with Bass.
Brown are more casual. But if you're wearing black jeans or a black top most of the time, then get a black pair. I'm in the no-brown-and-black-together camp.
Of course learning how to dress well didn't come instantly. We figure things out little by little until we know enough. For me it's: 1. Wearing tops that fit. I worked out and got a bit buff, and learned to wear flattering tops. I got stuck here for a while before moving on to the next one. 2. Basic color coordination. Meaning avoiding bad color combos. 3. Wearing pants that are not baggy. 4. Footwear. Recognizing what's horrible-looking. 5. Considering my body...
I think boots are the best alternative and could be the sneaker version for adults. Desert boots, or any non-shiny but non-bulky, semi sleek, rounded-toe boot could be worn in the most casual settings.
I know exactly how OP feels (I'm 31), and all the people here trying to convince him that sneakers are ok for older people aren't really helping. No offense to those who love sneakers, but you probably won't change our mindset that sneakers are just too kiddy for US and it's just not our style. I usually go for classy, understated, and classic. I do have 2 sneakers though, black and brown, and both are slim, sleek, and plain. Basically the most un-kiddy sneakers I could...
Just a few more staples. I want to complete my wardrobe but I also don't want to buy unecessary items. For example for shoes, I just want a pair in black and another in brown, but I want to cover formal, semi-formal, casual, sporty.
First I predict how my friends / others might dress, then I dress up a bit more, but not by too much to avoid being overdressed.
The rule of not mixing black with brown exists for a reason. Sure it can work, but at best I think it can look ok. Why settle for ok when you can have a great color combination by choosing a different color combo?
1. Black formal 2. Dark Brown formal 3. Black casual 4. Dark Brown casual 5. Whatever suits your lifestyle
I was just thinking about this. The usual answer is that navy is the most versatile, but then when I think about how I'm going to incorporate it with my outfit it doesn't seem as versatile. A navy blazer with dark blue / navy jeans will kinda look like a uniform. With black jeans/slacks is doable I guess, but black and navy is not the best color combination. It will probably look better with gray or cream jeans/slacks, but that's about it. A gray or cream/cement...