Question (posted by @dkzzzz): Should I take my new leather soles to shoe-shop to put rubber soles? My shoes have stitching through leather soles and although heal has a rubber pad the rest of the shoe sole is open to the elements.
What is the rule of thumb on this? Should leather soles be always protected by rubber or can I slip and slide on leathers till a wear them out?
Answer 1 (posted by @zjpj83): No, you do not need to put rubber over the leather soles. They should hold up to the elements just fine. The exposed stitching will be fine and should stand a great deal of wear. In my non-channeled soles (which means soles that do not have an extra piece of leather covering over the exposed stitching), the stitching has started to fray in the toe only after a lot of wear and the soles have been significantly worn down.
Of course, you may get a thin layer of rubber glued over, but it is not necessary at all. Be happy that you have a nice pair of leather-soled shoes!
Answer 2 (posted by @Charley): The wear you experience on the shoe sole will be determined by how hard you wear the shoes. I'm referring to frequency of wear. If you have enough so that you only wear them once a week, they can last a very long time. If you try to wear them every day, particularly following a day when the shoes, and particularly the soles, got very wet, the rate of wear will increase very fast as the wear is taking place on softened leather.
Answer 3 (posted by @RagnorakPA): I wouldn't replace the soles--if for no other reason than the sound of leather soles in an empty cathedral sounds great. I would recommend getting "taps" for the toe and heel to help protect it a bit. These come in either metal or rubber/plastic and are usually nailed in by a cobbler. They're inexpensive ($5-20) and will extend the life of the sole considerably. I'd worry less about the weather and more about walking across the street and accidentally dragging your toe--that's what these will help protect against. If you can't find them--check around a military post to see if they've got them.
Have a question and can't find an answer? Want to contribute your knowledge to the community? Try here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc
For more threads and articles on shoe care, go here:
Shoe Care Products
New to Styleforum and want to get more informative articles, style tips, fashion news, and exclusive deals? Sign up for the newsletter.
For a daily dose of Style (forum), follow us on Instagram.
Related Forum Threads
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on 1/19/17 at 2:13pm in Classic Menswear
- Leather Quality and Properties Last post on 12/29/16 at 3:01pm in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/18/17 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** Last post on Yesterday at 12:42 pm in Classic Menswear
- SOLD | NEW-OAK NYC Five Pocket Black Leather Pants XS/S Last post on 2/7/16 at 12:31am in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
Can I use shoe conditioner on the soles of my shoes?
Last edited: 3/24/16
- How do I take care of pull-up leather?Last edited: 3/24/16
- How to remove shoe polish?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Is shell cordovan a better option than calf for rainy days?Last edited: 3/24/16
- How to identify shell cordovan leather?Last edited: 3/24/16
Alphabetical Article List
Should I take my leather soles with exposed stitching to the shoe-shop to put rubber soles?Posted 3/2/16 • Last updated 3/24/16 • 2,759 views • 2 comments
- How do I take care of pull-up leather?
Currently, there are 1320 Active Users (284 Members and 1036 Guests)
- › Corthay 51 seconds ago
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 1 minute ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments SS 17 4 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Buying a new suit 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Common Projects Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 8 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...