Question (first posted by @jaymanjones): I have these two pairs of so-called 'now and later' gators that I'd like to clean/polish. I've noticed that they've lost their original shine and the color looks like its fading on the black ones. Any suggestions or previous experience on how to treat exotic/crocodile leather?
Answer 1 (first posted by @AnGeLiCbOrIs): Meltonian Delicate cream is awesome on pretty much everything. Pasquale in LA turned me on to it as a superior substitute for Lexol conditioner. I have to say that I agree wholeheartedly. It leaves leathers feeling soft and supple instead of the slight rubbery film that Lexol can leave.
Answer 2 (posted by @mr monty): I use creams made for exotic shoes. Been using creams for over 30 years with good results.
DYO Reptile Conditioner $4.25 4oz
Bick4 leather conditioner $5.26 8oz
Answer 3 (posted by @DWFII): The main thing however is to keep it clean. Don't let dust settle or build up in the creases.
Have a question and can't find an answer? Want to contribute your knowledge to the community? Try here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc
For more threads and articles on shoe care, go here:
Shoe Care Products
New to Styleforum and want to get more informative articles, style tips, fashion news, and exclusive deals? Sign up for the newsletter.
For a daily dose of Style (forum), follow us on Instagram.
Related Forum Threads
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on 1/19/17 at 2:13pm in Classic Menswear
- Leather Quality and Properties Last post on 12/29/16 at 3:01pm in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/18/17 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** Last post on Yesterday at 12:42 pm in Classic Menswear
- SOLD | NEW-OAK NYC Five Pocket Black Leather Pants XS/S Last post on 2/7/16 at 12:31am in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
Can I use shoe conditioner on the soles of my shoes?
Last edited: 3/24/16
- How do I take care of pull-up leather?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Should I take my leather soles with exposed stitching to the...Last edited: 3/24/16
- How to remove shoe polish?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Is shell cordovan a better option than calf for rainy days?Last edited: 3/24/16
Alphabetical Article List
How do I take care of alligator/crocodile leather?Posted 2/25/16 • Last updated 3/24/16 • 1,259 views • 0 comments
- How do I take care of pull-up leather?
Currently, there are 1320 Active Users (284 Members and 1036 Guests)
- › Corthay 51 seconds ago
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 1 minute ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments SS 17 4 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Buying a new suit 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Common Projects Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 8 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...